Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bad Day

There are good days and there are bad days. Today was a bad day I declare as I sit here typing to the loud hum of forced air.



If you've been following the blog of my crazy life you know a few things. You know that I had an interview with P. today. You also know that I'm in the midst of selling my condo and the last loose end was the appraisal. The appraisal was done on Friday and the results are in. NOT to my surprise the appraisal came in well below the agreed upon selling price. My realtor was more surprised than I was this morning as he's telling me this over the phone. "We need to meet immediately to determine our next step" he said. Well of course I couldn't meet him immediately, I had an interview with P. at 11:30. So we decided to meet at 4:00. I thought to myself as I hung up the phone "great, now I have this weighing on my already heavy mind during the interview" but knew I had to just continue on with my morning and deal with this later.



So around 9:30 this morning I realized that I had a stain on my shirt. No big deal, just needs a little Shout. You can imagine my surprise as I opened my laundry closet and found my washing machine a quarter of the way full of water, everything surrounding it soaking wet, and water dripping from the ceiling. Oh shit I thought, the condo above me is flooding and he's not home. So I called the president of my condo association and she got a hold of my upstairs neighbor. He was good enough to leave work immediately to come shut off his water. So he arrives, we go up to his place, and it is bone dry. Not a drop of water anywhere. We shut his water off anyways. We go back down to my place... drip, drip, drip. We shut off my water... drip, drip, drip. WTF? So the condo pres. was kind enough to call a plumber for me. Remember I have an interview in an hour. So the plumber shows up and he was initially stumped as well. As it turns out, the hose that goes from the wall to the water heater sprung a pin hole leak and was shooting water diagonally up to the ceiling where it was collecting and dripping back down and because the hole in the pipe was the size of a pin, it was next to impossible to see.



This is all going on as I'm trying to get dressed for the interview. Never mind preparing for it. Thankfully 2 of my wonderful neighbors were here to help deal with the plumber as I'm drying my hair. The good news is that they diagnosed and stopped the leak before I had to leave for the interview. And we made plans for the plumber to come back at 2:30 (after my interview) to fix the problem.



I return from my interview at 2:15 to the plumber waiting for me. So I let him in and he had it fixed before I was through the automated phone tree of my insurance company. What I learned after the fact was that my insurance does not cover maintenance to the water heater so I had to cough up $180 that will not be going towards my deductible. Had I not been so stressed and pressed for time, I would have contacted my insurance company before hand, found out that the repair was not covered, and would have just done it myself for about $30 in materials. Live and learn.



Now everything is wet so the plumber called the "24 Hour Flood Response" person. I now have 4 blowers blowing in my home, 3 blowers blowing below my home, and a large dehumidifier in the middle of the hallway, which will be blowing all day and all night for about 3 days. That, however, is covered by my insurance (after a $250 deductible). Thank God because we're looking at almost $2,ooo. And the floor of the laundry closet has to be ripped up, dried, and replaced but if there is asbestos in the floor, I'm looking at even more money and about 2-3 weeks more time.





So it's 4:00 now and my realtor is knocking on my door. I am now juggling the realtor and the drying guy. Unfortunately, I don't have many options with the sale of my condo. Because the buyer wanted to wrap his closing costs into the loan, we had agreed on a selling price of $172,500 and I'd still have to come to the table with about $600. Sadly yet not surprisingly the place only appraised for $168,000 (which is still more than what I bought it for in 2006). So we went over my bleak and few options. We amended the offer to the selling price of $168,000, I would not pay any of the closing costs, and my realtor took a bigger hit on his commission. Based on conversations my realtor has had with the buyer's realtor he seems to think the buyer does have the means to come up with the closing costs. So, if the buyer agrees to the deal I will now be coming to the table with approximately $1,150. The only reason I was able to stomach this deal is because I'm fortunate enough to have someplace to live, rent free, for as long as I need. $1,150 is almost a month's mortgage payment for me.





Update... I just got off the phone with my realtor. Believe it or not, the buyer agreed to the new deal and we are still targeting a closing date of September 25th. That's in 10 days including today. Shit, I have 10 days to pack everything I own, move it all, and clean the carpets. At least it's not 5 days I guess.



You probably want to know how the interview went with P. Well, I can say that it went incredibly well (despite all the craziness of the day) but it will take a true act of God and hell freezing over for me to actually get the job. I have an open and honest relationship/friendship with the hiring manager, my previous boss. She let me know that things seem "strange" at P. right now but no one is telling her anything. She also let me know that there are quite a few internal candidates with actual project coordination experience at P. who are being considered for the position as well. If it were solely up to my friend, the job would be mine but unfortunately the decision is more than just hers. So my hopes are not too high but as life continues to keep showing me... anything can happen.



Enough typing for now... time to start packing. Uggg.

No comments:

Post a Comment