Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chiang Mai










Tonight is night 2 in Chiang Mai. I (and Aaron) love this city! Maybe it's because we just came from crazy Bangkok, I don't know but the best I can explain it is Chiang Mai is to Bangkok what Seattle is to New York. The climate is cooler (but still warm), the pace is slower (but still moving), and the people are much more friendly and relaxed.

Yesterday we did a Thai cooking class and each made 4 Thai dishes. I made Pad Thai, Glassnoodle Salad, Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nut, and Khaw Soi Curry (actually made the paste). Aaron made Deep Fried Spring Rolls, Pad See Uw, Stir Fried Hot Basil, and Panang Curry. It was a great experience and the food was awesome.

Today we spend A LOT of time figuring out our next move (more on that later), walking around downtown Chiang Mai, and a little time at the Night Bazaar. It's a good thing hour long foot massages are only about 6 US dollars because we've been doing a lot of walking. We also did a full body 'oil' massage yesterday. I know that the traditional Thai Massage is very different from a relaxing or deep tissue massage that we traditionally get in the US but the oil or relaxing full body massages are pretty different here too. No massage table but a room full of 2 inch mats on the floor with curtains. It also became apparent to me that in the US the massage therapist are much more aware of draping. As here, they don't really care what is covered and what is not. They are also much more 'free' with their hands. Having the privates accidentally brushed is anything but relaxing. Aaron and I both had the same experience.


While at the bazaar last night we came across an elephant as we walked down the street. "Tom" was 4 years old. I had mixed feelings about Tom. On one hand it was so cool to see and pet a live elephant. On the other hand I felt so sorry that Tom was on the streets of Chiang Mai instead of in the jungle where he belongs. It's kind of how I feel when I see the horses pulling the carriages in downtown Seattle at Christmas time.

I have so much more to share but I gotta run. This internet connection is driving me nuts, it's late, and we have to get up early for our jungle trek tomorrow. Sorry I haven't posted hardly any pictures yet. I'm taking lots but it takes forever to upload.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the part of my Italy vacation that involved cooking local food. Nothing like it to engage with the local culture. Two other key points I'd like to make:

    1. That elephant was totally mackin on your boob.
    2. The "happy ending" and the "accidential genital brush" are two variations of the (in)famous Thai massage. Enjoy it while you can.

    But back in serious-land, looks like you two are having an excellent time. Remember to savor every possible moment you're there. Best wishes for your travels; I'm pretty sure most Westerners make it back out of the jungle without picking up an unpleasant parasite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come I didn't get to see an elephant?
    In Chiang Mai? In the street?
    I'm so glad you are having fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete