Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mr. Right or Mr. Rightnow

Here I am again... waiting, waiting, waiting to hear back after an interview that I felt went well. Funny, it's with the same company as before. At this point I have to say I'm not sure quite what to think. I don't feel the mania I felt last time. I think I learned that it's not worth the torture. I did finally learn, after 2 weeks and a direct e-mail to the recruiter asking what's up, that they were pursuing other candidates with more "HR depth". I figured as much at that point. But I can truly say that I understand the decision. I could have done the job and would have done it well but my HR depth could be deeper.

But I was genuinely impressed with the company after the first interview. A 2 year old venture capital company already profitable and EBITDA positive. I could tell the profitability is having a positive impact on the environment and moral. How could it not? What a wonderful change of pace from where I've been. I could also tell that this company has the potential for true growth. The leadership must be doing something right. Is there really a company out there with true leaders making good decisions? This is the type of company I want to work for!

I noticed they also have a Client Account Manager position open in Seattle. I e-mailed the recruiter and highlighted all the ways I am qualified for the position and asked to be considered. So last Friday I met with the hiring manager and 2 members of the Account Management team. After that meeting I can say with absolute confidence that if they don't hire me for this role, they don't deserve me! I have all the skills, experience, and personality to excel in the position and the company. What I also have is a true passion and appreciation for the company. That is an attitude required for a successful account manager yet difficult if not impossible to train. I'm genuinely drinkin' the cool-aid here people and I don't even work for the company. When asked why I was interested in this position my response was "because this company is growing and I want to be a part of that growth. There are not many other positions that can effect the company growth as directly as an account manager position" and I meant it. I also made sure to mention that I am the captain of our kickball team. Coincidentally, the company also has a kickball team. What better of a match can you have in experience for the position, passion for the company, and personality/culture fit?

Here are my concerns... The account management team that I met with, including the hiring manger, were all younger than me and I'm really not that old. The hiring manager has a Myspace page showing her, among other things, in multiple stages of drunkeness. In my first interview with the VP of HR she mentioned that the Seattle office has a click of girls who all go to lunch every day with each other and only each other. I have a feeling these girls are part of the click if not the click. Would I fit in with these girls who don't have the experience to know how good they have it? Of course I'd fit. I'd make it fit but would I be happy?

Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled by the awesome managers I had in my last position. Shane, Kellie, Mary... all managers I had a lot to learn from. Managers who knew how to be professional (even with Shane's F-bombs) but were also my friends. Managers who respected what I brought to the table and let me run my show as they knew I could. Perhaps I'm looking for the "Mr. Right" of jobs and companies. Again, I relate this process to dating. But the question is legitimate for both... "do you hold out for Mr. Right or do you settle for Mr. Rightnow?" Is there such thing as Mr. Right in men or jobs? Does it exist and is it worth fighting for? Or should I settle? And here's where they differ... I need to pay my mortgage. Settle it is. Take the good with the bad. Oh wait, I have to get the job first. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment