When I was first laid off back in October (ugg, it's been almost 10 months) I was utterly disgusted with Corporate America. When I looked through job postings my stomach would turn while the thought of sending my resume would bring about sheer nausea. I was so done with all the bullshit that comes with working for "the man". The nasty politics, the passive aggressive/sometimes pure aggressive behavior, the blaming and backstabbing, the ladder climbing, the gossip and rumors, the clicks, and most of all the stupid decisions "leaders" make!!! I despised, and still do despise all of it! So I stepped away, thankful that I didn't have a family to support.
If I don't go back to Corporate America what will I do? The only other option it seems is becoming a small business owner. I looked into buying a dog walking business from a kid who wanted to sell it and move to Hawaii to build an island out of trash (no kidding). But decided against it, thank God. Walking my own dog is enough dog walking for me. Next I took a 2 quarter, graduate level business class through the University of Washington's extension program. It was a great course and I highly recommend it to anyone without a business degree like myself. Among other projects, the major project we worked on over the 2 quarter course was putting together a business plan. This was a group project and my team ended up being me and 4 super smart guys. One was an MD, one had his PhD in statistics, one was an officer in the Coast Guard who got his bachelor's degree at West Point or somewhere of the likes, and one was crazy smart computer guy. We made an interesting group with drastically different perspectives.
Our business plan idea was my brain child... a yoga studio in Edmonds. Simple yet brilliant as there are no yoga studios in Edmonds as surprising as that is. Thus, we would be the first movers. I really thought for a while that opening a yoga studio in Edmonds was my next great adventure. I thought that all the way up until we ran the numbers. I firmly believe that if most small business owners wrote as detailed of a business plan as we did, they would not open a small business. Those of you who are running or have ran a small business, my hat is off to you!!! Apparently my risk tolerance is fairly low because in running the cost/benefit analysis I determined that the risk was too high for the little benefit that might be gained. If I move forward I am guaranteed to barrow and spend a lot of money but there is no guarantee I will be successful. I also couldn't help but to compare it to my condo ownership experience I am currently in. In a nut shell... I borrowed a lot of money (which actually wasn't that much but was a lot to me), I had no exit strategy, and now I'm stuck with this albatross around my neck.
And so I've come full circle with a new perspective on working for the man. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the corporate America bullshit but I've realized I have to pick my poison. And so with the bullshit that is everywhere I am also getting a very good steady paycheck, much better than what I'd pay myself from a yoga studio. I'm getting my evenings and weekend, whereas if I am an owner of a small business, I'm always working. I'm getting paid vacation without having to worry about what's happening with the business. And I'm getting medical benefits. In other words, very little risk.
If money was not an issue, the yoga studio is where I'd be. But let's be real... money is an issue. I don't need to make lots of money. I don't need to be the one who makes the most money. Money doesn't define me but allows me to enjoy the activities and do define me.
This process has been invaluable to me. I can now look at jobs with interest and feel excited to send my resume because it's my choice. I only hope what when I do finally get the job I want that I can keep my perspective when faced with the bullshit. But, I have to get that job first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its all about the journey..huh?!! Have you considered working for a small company (small is relative)...sometimes its a nice blend...less politics..(sometimes) and consistent pay and benefits..anyway..just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure Masha and I have had that conversation too. Working at Microsoft kind of ruins you in terms of expectations: excellent health care, fantastic family benefits, and a decent paycheck. I work at a smaller company but still good sized and it seems to strike a good balance between small enough to be honest, balanced, and responsible and big enough to have health insurance, vacation time, and other things that are important. I've seen friends and colleagues running small businesses and the payoff can be huge, but on the whole it just seems to suck in every waking second and introduce a pile of new worries. I'd rather go corporate (even on a small scale) and enjoy my life outside of the office.
ReplyDelete